Position: Capacity development expert
Project: Enhancing climate resilience in the Biosphere Reserve „Prutul de Jos”
Project number: 8360-00/2019
Donor: Austrian Development Cooperation
Reporting to: EcoContact, Project Manager
Post type: Individual service contract
Estimated implementation period of assignment: September 2021 – May 2022
Working languages: English, Romanian/ Russian
The project “Enhancing climate resilience in the Biosphere Reserve „Prutul de Jos” supported by the Austrian Development Cooperation, aims to support national and local authorities in implementing the Law on the establishment of the Biosphere Reserve „Prutul de Jos” no.132 of 13.07.2018 that entered into force on 24.08.2018. Within the project, the assistance will be provided to central authorities and particularly to local actors from 10 mayoralties with the purpose to enhance climate resilience; support the implementation of pilot measures on adaptation to climate change, which will be identified in the course of the project; and to learn how to contribute to the preservation of the ecosystem. The project will be implemented in the Lower Prut area, which is located in the Southern part of the Republic of Moldova and includes the Prut River and naturally flooded lakes. A wetland that stretches along the Prut River covers a mosaic of water ecosystems, meadows, and forests. The territory (more than 14,771 ha) is part of the Cahul district and the communities of Brînza, Cîşliţa-Prut, Colibaşi, Crihana Veche, Giurgiuleşti, Manta, Slobozia Mare, Vadul lui Isac and Văleni.
The intended Impact of the project is: The Natural Protected Area Biosphere reserve “Prutul de Jos” is managed sustainably taking into account climate change impacts and delivers ecosystem services for local communities.
The project’s expected outcome is: Climate resilience of the Natural Protected Area Biosphere reserve “Prutul de Jos” is enhanced and communities and local authorities have increased their capacities for climate change adaptation.
Expected Outputs of the project:
Output 1: Climate change risks identified, recommendations elaborated and priority adaptation measures implemented in a participatory manner within the Biosphere reserve “Prutul de Jos” area;
Output 2: The information and awareness about the value of the protected area and its ecosystem services as well as climate change impacts are increased;
Output 3: Capacities of local and national level actors (women and men) on climate resilience and effective management of the Natural Protected Area Biosphere reserve “Prutul de Jos” are strengthened;
Output 4: The institutional and regulatory framework for integrated management of the Biosphere reserve “Prutul de Jos” and the Sub-Basin Frumoasa-Crihana River is strengthened in a participatory manner.
The objective and tasks of the assignment:
The main objective is to conduct a capacity needs assessment (CAN) for the Biosphere Reserve Prutul de Jos (BRPJ) based on immediate and medium-term necessities in order to ensure effective conservation of biological and habitat diversity.
The tasks are:
- Document existing traditional knowledge and experiences on PA management in the area, and identify knowledge and skills gaps
- Identify the equipment and infrastructure required as well as human capacities needed for a successful functioning of the newly established PA
- Propose mechanisms to establish cross-sectoral collaboration in a cultural-diversified and multi-stakeholder environment of the lower Prut River region
- Provide substantiation on how to develop sustainable financing through various incentives (tourism, fiscal, PES, etc.) and other instruments (e.g. visibility, communication)
- Assessment approach and methodology to be applied (including stakeholder analysis and proposed structure of the capacity assessment report).
- Draft capacity assessment report and the road map (including recommendations from the consultations with main stakeholders on the draft capacity assessment report and the road map).
- Final version of the capacity assessment report and the road map.
- Report for the implementation of the assignment, including the proposed next steps for the project to continue with.
The expert will be working in close cooperation with EcoContact’s project manager, under the leadership of the Lead expert for mainstreaming, and experts’ team working for the other assignments. All deliverables should be approved by EcoContact.
Deliverables and timeline for the implementation of the assignment
and % of contract to be paid
|Assessment approach and methodology to be applied (including stakeholder analysis and proposed structure of the capacity assessment report).
|Draft capacity assessment report and the road map (including recommendations from the consultations with main stakeholders on the draft capacity assessment report and the road map).
|Final version of the capacity assessment report and the road map.
|Report for the implementation of the assignment, including the proposed next steps for the project to continue with.
- Minimum M.Sc. in biology, ecology, forestry or relevant fields of expertise to support mainstreaming process; academic degree in biological/environmental sciences an asset;
- Previous experience experience / assignments related to protected area management, forest management, wildlife conservation, conservation biology, land use planning, environmental management and planning and/or similar fields.
- Demonstrated experience in the elaboration of the analytical reports;
- Strong understanding of climate change, risk, vulnerability and resilience;
- Ability to analyze, plan, communicate effectively orally and in writing, solve problems, adapt to different cultural, economic, political and social environments;
- Working knowledge of Romanian or / and Russian language; English an asset;
- Proven experience in working on PA in Moldova and elsewhere highly desirable.
How to apply:
Bidders must submit the following documents:
- The CV of the expert: The CV of the expert should reflect the relevant experience in the area of assignment, and at least three references of the previous documents elaborated.
- Financial offer for the implementation of the assignment including travel costs.
Please send the documents with the indication of Capacity development expert before 10 September 2021 to the email address of email@example.com.
For detailed information, please contact Ecaterina Melnicenco, Project Manager, +373 22 996162