Duration of Employment: 3 months, with the possibility of extension.
Contract type: Individual working contract
Expected workload: full time/part time
Required languages: Romanian, Russian, English
Duty Station: Chisinau
Expected start of assignment: Janurary, 2021
Deadline of application: December 10, 2020
The Public Association EcoContact is a national environmental organization with the office in Chisinau. The mission of organization is “to support environmental improvements and partnerships for sustainable development of communities in Moldova, thus contributing to the formation of a responsible society respecting human rights and ensuring a favorable environment for the present and future generation”.
The organization has three strategic directions:
- Implementation of Aarhus Convention. Organization provides support to public participation and access to information on environmental matters. Starting with 2013 EcoContact is hosting the Environmental Consultation and Information Aarhus Center, created with support with OSCE Mission in Moldova;
- Sustainable development with a special focus on: green economy, climate change/disaster risk reduction, waste and chemical management, environmental education
- Environmental legislation. Organization provide support to align national environmental legislation with provisions of EU-RM Association Agreement and the Action Plan.
- EcoContact is a rapidly developing organization and a special focus is put on the organization development. Organization provides possibilities for personal growth and development.
In the process of work EcoContact has established partnerships with various actors on the local, national and regional levels. We work with local communities and public authorities, NGO community, national level authorities and donors. Organization is implementing environmental projects, providing thematically consultancy in the priority areas and is currently developing the organizational development strategy, that is supported by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency.
EcoContact is hiring Programme Assistant on Environmental Matters, based on the negotiations before concluding the contact full or part time modality can be applied. EcoContact is looking for the motivated persons to join the team and ensure the support for the implementation of the on-going projects and conducting assessment and research activities. As the organization is implementing the projects in various localities it is expected that Programme Assistant will have one day business trips to the communities in the country.
Scope of work and responsibilities:
The Programme Assistant on Environmental Matters will work in close cooperation with the other EcoContact staff to ensure the provision of development services and products of the highest quality and standards.
More specifically they are as follows:
- Assisting in the research and analysis conducted by organizations on environmental matters.
- Providing assistance on environmental related topics to projects managed by the organization.
- Draft clear and concise legal memoranda, briefs and opinions.
- Build and strengthen alliances and coalitions to support cases with relevant social networks and groups.
- Expected to make a constructive contribution to the non-chargeable activities of the projects, the association.
- Responsible for ensuring effective management of time, effort and resources in order to generate maximum efficiencies.
- Support local communities EcoContact working with on environmental and local development
- Handling correspondence, filing, photocopying, keeping records, and scheduling and organizing meetings.
- Carrying out office management tasks.
- This position is responsible for the review of technical, analytical, statistic, research documents related to environmental issues (pollution, remediation, resource usage etc.).
- Interpreting data concerning the environmental pollution, use of natural resources and impact of it on health and development.
- Apply regulation and guidance in a consistent manner and communicate both in writing and verbally with a variety of parties.
- Provide technical assistance for performing site assessment, risk / impact assessment and policy / strategic assessment.
- Implement management decisions while conveying a positive attitude to the public.
- Perform field work when required.
Programme Assistant on Environmental Matters will work under direct guidance and supervision of assigned project manager/s and in close cooperation with organization’s staff, partners and beneficiaries.
Requirements for experience and qualification
- University degree in Environmental field. A combination of the other academic qualification with the experience of work in the environment can be considered as appropriate.
- At least 2 years of experience in the environment implementation of administrative work, legal, economics, administration or another relevant field.
- Experience of work in teams.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel), social networks.
- Previous experience in development assistance, implementation of projects or related work for a donor organization, governmental institutions, NGO or private sector / consulting firm is a very strong advantage.
- Previous experience in the area of environment is strongly desirable.
- Knowledge of Romanian and English languages
- Understanding of Russian language;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Time management and planning skills;
- Proven ability to develop effective working relationships with the other team members;
- Strong interpersonal skills, communication and diplomatic skills, ability to work in a team;
If you are interested in this position please send following documents (either in English, or Romanian or Russian):
- Personal CV.
- Motivation letter including the preferred modality of work (full/part time).
The deadline of application: December 10, 2020. Applications should be sent to the address: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: “Programme Assistant/Environment”.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The applications will be short-listed based on the following minimum qualification criteria:
- Management, Social Sciences, Environment, Public Administration or another relevant field.
- At least 2 years of experience in the implementation of development projects, with external partners;
- Knowledge of English language.