TERMS OF REFERENCE:
Assignment: Social perception survey
Location: Geographical area – Lower Prut area that covers the town of Cahul, the administrative-territorial boundaries of the communities Brînza, Cîşliţa-Prut, Colibaşi, Crihana Veche, Giurgiuleşti, Manta, Slobozia Mare, Vadul lui Isac and Văleni
Project: Enhancing climate resilience in the Biosphere Reserve „Prutul de Jos”
Post type: Individual contract/Service contract
Estimated start of assignment: April 29, 2020
Working languages: Romanian, English
Duration of assignment: April – July 2020.
The project “Enhancing climate resilience in the Biosphere Reserve „Prutul de Jos” is implemented by the PA EcoContact in partnership with Ecological Counselling Centre Cahul and supported by the Austrian Development Cooperation. The main aim of the project is to support national and local authorities in implementing the Law on the establishment of the Biosphere Reserve „Prutul de Jos” no.132 of 13.07.2018 that entered into force on 24.08.2018. Within the project, the assistance will be provided to central authorities and particularly to local actors from 10 mayoralties with the purpose to enhance climate resilience; support the implementation of pilot measures on adaptation to climate change, which will be identified during the project; and to learn how to contribute to the preservation of the ecosystem. The project will be implemented in the Lower Prut area, which is located in the Southern part of the Republic of Moldova and includes the Prut River and naturally flooded lakes. A wetland that stretches along the Prut River covers a mosaic of water ecosystems, meadows, and forests. The territory (more than 14,771 ha) is part of the Cahul district and the communities of Brînza, Cîşliţa-Prut, Colibaşi, Crihana Veche, Giurgiuleşti, Manta, Slobozia Mare, Vadul lui Isac and Văleni.
The intended Impact of the project is: The Natural Protected Area Biosphere reserve “Prutul de Jos” is managed sustainably taking into account climate change impacts and delivers ecosystem services for local communities.
The project’s expected outcome is: Climate resilience of the Natural Protected Area Biosphere reserve “Prutul de Jos” is enhanced and communities and local authorities have increased their capacities for climate change adaptation.
Expected Outputs of the project:
Output 1: Climate change risks identified, recommendations developed and priority adaptation measures implemented in a participatory manner within the Biosphere reserve “Prutul de Jos” area;
Output 2: The information and awareness about the value of the protected area and its ecosystem services as well as climate change impacts are increased;
Output 3: Capacities of local and national level actors (women and men) on climate resilience and effective management of the Natural Protected Area Biosphere reserve “Prutul de Jos” are strengthened;
Output 4: The institutional and regulatory framework for integrated management of the Biosphere reserve “Prutul de Jos” and the Sub-Basin Frumoasa-Crihana River is strengthened in a participatory manner.
The territory of the Bio-sphere Reserve „Prutul de Jos” and in the Sub Basin of the Frumoasa Crihana River that is located in Cahul district in the Southern part of the Republic of Moldova includes the Prut River and the floodable lakes. Two-thirds of the area is occupied by the Beleu lake – a wetland stretching along the Prut River, covering a mosaic of water ecosystems, meadows and forests. This territory (more than 14,771 ha) consists of the town of Cahul and following communities: Brînza, Cîşliţa-Prut, Colibaşi, Crihana Veche, Giurgiuleşti, Manta, Slobozia Mare, Vadul lui Isac, Văleni.
A. The main objective of the position:
In view of its mandate, Partners need a survey to acquire facts on shortcomings and gaps related to citizens misunderstanding the term “climate change”, its impact at the ecosystem level, household level, at community level etc. and those who understand it, have an inadequate understanding of their capacity to adapt to the changes. In order to build a common understanding of climate change policies and actions among local and national stakeholders, and to invest in capacity development of the vulnerable population (including women and girls), both in terms of designing adaptation measures as well as enhancing their knowledge and understanding of policies and politics related to climate change, a social perception survey of the communities from implementation areas have to be performed. All activities related to the survey will be inclusive and understandable for all; in this context the language aspect will be considered (not only the Romanian speaking population will be involved, but also Russian speakers), the population from villages and from towns will be interviewed; an easy-to-read version will be elaborated, etc.
The survey will be developed and conducted as a baseline and as an end-line survey (i.e. at the beginning and at the end of the project) so that the changes in the perception of the citizens can be assessed based on major indicators. Both quantitative and qualitative methods shall be applied, including representative sampling. For both surveys, respondents and focus groups will be selected randomly and the sample size will be representative. It is believed that the survey will enhance ‘political efforts’ to address the existing governance challenges in the service delivery systems to ensure that the most vulnerable persons in the communities are not left aside in the process of adaptation and resilience for climate change. To involve the most vulnerable persons and to increase their confidence few preparatory meetings will be conducted with local authorities including social officers, as well as local CSOs, churches and with support divisions of these target groups.
The perception surveys will be conducted by the senior/junior community mobilization experts and a specialized company. The summary of the survey reports will be developed in Romanian language and afterword translated into English. Both reports and summary will be shared with the donor and relevant partners.
For this activity a company specialized in developing social perceptions will be contracted based on an open tender; staff travel cost will be included in the budget for The activities to be performed under this task assignment.
Specific objectives (act.2.1):
- To collect credible data that will be a base for the Communication Strategy to serve as baseline for Monitoring and Evaluation framework;
- To serve as the first measure, based on which different benchmarks will be drawn for improving the perception regarding the benefits and opportunities in the area;
- To draw information that will assist the Consortium to develop appropriate and timely messaging and advocacy campaigns.
B. Expected outputs
- Record the main stakeholders for conducting survey;
- Establish the main question for the survey for the Communications Strategy and indicators Monitoring and Evaluation Framework based on the data collected;
- Elaborate the survey questions that will answer to the main indicators of the awareness raising activities;
- Conduct a local survey to obtain views from stakeholders of implementing area on issues relevant to development of Area (as well as other relevant issues);
- Provide cross-tabs and supportive analysis on the main indicators of the awareness raising activities;
- Regularly report on the activities implemented.
- Carry out the survey report based on quantitative and qualitative data / indicators
- Social perception survey should be oriented to the main target groups of stakeholders: local authorities, local business, tourism business, opinion leaders as teachers, civil society representatives and women as major gender group. Social perception survey should take into consideration gender equality, environmental safeguards and social inclusion of vulnerable groups.
Interviews and focus-groups should cover significant number of persons including an important share of women.
|Development of study design and survey instruments||Survey instruments|
|Development of an inception report||Inception report with methodology|
|Analysis of secondary data||–|
|Carry out quantitative surveys, qualitative interviews and focus groups with identified stakeholders, tailored to the specific stakeholder
Finalize and present the final survey report including recommendations for the Communication Strategy and indicators for Monitoring and Evaluation framework
Payments will be done based upon the submission of deliverables* mentioned at point C (on contractual phase – clarity).
- Experience in carrying out research and surveys with recognized national and international organizations/institutions (optional requirement) especially in similar thematic areas.
- Ability to analyze data using up to date statistical tools for purposes of building a reliable database.
- Able to work under pressure and in response to changing needs.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
- Tangible reference of previous similar assignments a must for the last 3 years.
- Experience in leading focus groups.
- Experience in qualitative interviews.
- Advanced university degree or related any other field.
- Ability to analyze, plan, communicate effectively orally and in writing, draft report, solve problems, organize and meet expected results, adapt to different environments (cultural, economic, political and social).
- Fluency in English, Romanian and Russian orally and in writing;
- Good interpersonal skills, solid judgment/decision making, initiative, creativity and team player; self-starter and results-oriented.
- Computer literacy and ability to effectively use office technology equipment, IT tools.
F. Selection Criteria:
Submissions will be evaluated in consideration of the Evaluation Criteria as stated below:
The offer will be evaluated by using the Best value for money approach (combined scoring method).
Technical proposal will be evaluated on 70%. Whereas the financial one will be evaluated on 30%.
Below is the breakdown of technical proposal on 100% which will be brought to 70%:
|Summary of Technical Proposal Evaluation Forms||Score Weight|
How to apply:
Bidders must submit the following documents in English:
- The CV of the expert / and members of the team: The CV of the expert / and members of the team should reflect the relevant experience in the area of assignment, and at least three references of the previous Social Perception Surveys conducted.
- Financial offer for the implementation of the assignment including travel costs (two missions) to the Republic of Moldova.
- Proposed work plan for the assignment, that confirms availability and approach for the implementation of assignment.
Please send the documents with the indication of the assignment before April 20, 2020 to the email address of email@example.com All bidders will receive the confirmation of the registration via email message.
For detailed information, please contact Catalina Arghir, Project Manager, +373 22 996162
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.